



muds
 MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
 DEBATING SOCIETY

Executive Meeting 2 Minutes

November 22nd, 2013 – 1:30 p.m. – 3 p.m., Location: The Ranch

Present: Nandini Bajaj (President), Ryan Thalari (Secretary), Jacob Rock (Treasurer), Anna Kosmyrina (President Emeritus), Nigel Khine, Lachlan McGrath, Rochelle Amys.

Absent: Stephanie Fehon, Dhanya Mani.

Agenda

What’s the Sitch? Portfolio Updates 2

Everybody Wants to Rule the World(s): The 2nd Worlds Adjudicator Spot + Worlds Subsidies..... 5

 The 2nd Adjudicator Spot 5

 Subsidies 7

Think of the Children: Junior School’s Day Update 10

Does This Logo Make My Panda Look Big? T-Shirts + Logo Redesign Update..... 11

 T-Shirts 11

 Logo Redesign 12

The Calendar Can’t Hold Us (For Much Longer): End-of-Year Social Update 13

Knowledge is Power: The Matter File 14

For A Fistful of Dollars: Sponsorship and Prospectus 16

...And All That Jazz: Any Other Business 19

When Will You Be Mine? Tentative Date for Next Executive Meeting..... 19



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

What's the Sitch? Portfolio Updates

President

Nandini: We've had 2 meetings so far. Portfolios have been allocated. Everything seems to be going well.

Schools

Nandini: We have a 36-team cap for Junior School's Day, as there aren't enough adjudicators. There are enough adjudicators for the day to run, but there aren't enough to be able to raise the cap. Invoices have been sent, and the schools seem happy – there haven't been any complaints.

Nigel: Have rooms been booked and confirmed?

Nandini: Yes, they are confirmed for Junior School's Day, and we're waiting for confirmation for Senior School's Day and Senior School's Training Day.

Nigel: The School's Officers had a meeting this morning, involving a basic rundown of what each School's Officer will do (Jacob will tab, Nigel will convene, and Nandini will oversee everything).

Nigel: Should we look into getting sponsorship for Schools' Day?

Nandini: We'll talk about sponsorship later in the meeting (see Agenda Item 6).

Socials

Lachlan: We're having a fun social in the park. We'll discuss the Social further later on in the meeting (see Agenda Item 5).



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Nigel: Can we update the Facebook event page for the End of Year Social? The Save the Date page was good, but now we should give specific details about the event.

Rochelle: Yes, we can do that.

ACTION ITEM: LACHLAN AND ROCHELLE to update the Facebook page for the End of Year Social and provide specific details about the Social.

Treasurer

Jacob: I've updated the Society's money, and am verifying our assets with Mark (previous Treasurer) because the definition of what is an asset is unclear.

Competitions & Publications

Jacob/Anna: Nothing to report at this stage.

Finance:

Nigel: We can discuss this later in the meeting (see Agenda Item 6).

Secretary

Ryan: Everything's going well. We've had two sign-ups since the AGM, the new Facebook banner looks good, I sent out a newsletter last week which people seem to have received, and the minutes from the last meeting were uploaded to the MUDS website. It's all good.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Anna: It's a good idea to put a link to the newsletter on the Facebook page so people who haven't signed up to be members can still access the newsletter.

Camp

Ryan: There's not a lot to report on at the moment. We're looking into venues. With regards to getting support from other institutions, I haven't looked too deeply into that yet because I was contacting other institutions regarding on-selling the 2nd adjudicator spot in case we didn't get any internal applicants, and I didn't want to seem to "spammy". There seems to be general support from ANU, UWS and UOW. I will look into talking to UNSW about possible mentors, as well as dates to minimise chances of avoiding a clash with UNSW IV.

Equity

Ryan: Not really anything to report, which is usually a good thing for this portfolio. At Worlds, Dhanya and I will give an Equity Briefing to the 2 other people in the contingent that have never sat through an entire contingent Equity Briefing at a major intervarsity.

Externals

Ryan: The main thing about Externals was the 2nd adjudicator spot for Worlds. I'll talk more about that when we get to the next Agenda Item. Besides that, it's all good. We're sending teams and adjudicators to UNSW Pre-Worlds and Sydney Mini,



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

although possibly not to Melbourne Mini. After this meeting, I'll look into getting details for individual registration for the members of our Worlds contingent.

Everybody Wants to Rule the World(s): The 2nd Worlds Adjudicator Spot

+ Worlds Subsidies

The 2nd Adjudicator Spot

Ryan: As you all know, one of our adjudicators for Worlds had to pull out, which left an adjudicator spot in our Worlds contingent (which the Society had already paid for in full) open. We opened up applications for the spot to be filled internally, while contacting other institutions to see if they had anyone interested in taking the spot in the event that we had to on-sell the spot. No other institutions had any candidates for the spot, and we had one internal applicant, Suna Ozcan.

The debating CV's of both adjudicators (Suna and Jacob Rock) were emailed to the Chennai Worlds Adjudication Core, and both were approved.

I contacted Suna yesterday, and she has informed me that she is still interested in attending, and has already booked flights to Chennai.

Ryan: ***"I would like to propose the motion that we offer the 2nd adjudication spot in the Macquarie contingent for Chennai Worlds to Suna Ozcan (from Macquarie)".***

Lachlan seconds.

Motion passes unanimously.

ACTION ITEM: RYAN to make arrangements to see that Suna Ozcan (the new adjudicator from Macquarie for Worlds) receives some form of adjudication training.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Nandini: I'd just like to note that Ryan and I contacted other institutions regarding the adjudicator spot in the event that we needed to on-sell the spot. I'd still recommend doing so in the future if we find ourselves in a similar position again, as it didn't damage our reputation, but if I was one of the people from those other institutions who was contacted regarding the spot, I would have felt bad if I was unable to help out the institution who needed someone to fill the spot. Next time, I think we should have our adjudicators confirm if they can go at least 4-6 weeks before the tournament

Nigel: To add to that, doing so would be in the best interest of those adjudicators. I think we need to reconsider how we approach adjudicator spots for Worlds, maybe consider accepting less adjudicator spots, as this is not the first time that we've had someone pull out shortly before the tournament and have had difficulty filling the spot.

Anna: We should also make sure that when we approach other institutions about on-selling spots that we are unable to fill, that we express our understanding if they are unable to help.

Nigel: Can we recommend that we get triallers to pay a deposit before they trial? If they don't get a spot, they would be refunded their deposit, and if they accept a spot and pull out on short notice, they wouldn't get a refund?

Rochelle: That sounds like a bigger discussion that we don't need to have right now. Maybe we can discuss it at another meeting?

Agenda Item for Next Executive Meeting: Discussion about the trial process for Worlds.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Subsidies

Ryan: At the last Executive Meeting of the last Executive, a policy was passed regarding subsidies for this year's Worlds contingent, *"that we subsidise worlds so that registration costs \$250 per person, is dependent on satisfying the subsidy criteria and approval of next exec"*.

As the "next Exec", I think we need to discuss the motion.

I don't have any issues with the subsidy amount, I think it's a fair subsidy. What we need to discuss is the Subsidy Criteria, in that there may be members in our Worlds contingent who may not meet the criteria for a full subsidy. I think we need to have a discussion on whether we are enforcing the subsidy criteria (and to what extent), and whether should waive the criteria for certain members and offer a subsidy, be it a full subsidy or even a partial subsidy.

Nandini: I think we should give the new adjudicator (Suna) an exemption and allow her to receive a subsidy for registration, as she may be relying on the cost of Worlds not being too expensive.

Ryan: I talked to her yesterday and informed her of what the full registration cost would be if we're unable to provide her with a subsidy, and she said she'd be able to pay the full registration cost.

Nandini: I still think it would be good to offer her a subsidy as a show of goodwill.

Nigel: We need to consider the purpose of the policy. There's no point in having the policy if we're not going to follow it. I appreciate that she's new and thus it would be difficult for her to be able to meet the criteria, but she has indicated that she's



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

able to pay the full registration, and so in light of that, there's not much reason to ignore the policy.

Lachlan: I concur with not offering her a subsidy. No one here knows her, and so there's no way to determine whether she would have tried to meet the subsidy had she been a member all year.

Anna: We need to be careful about how we talk about providing subsidies for people going because we don't want to set a precedent where they effectively hold us hostage and refuse to attend unless they receive a subsidy. The new adjudicator (Suna) signed up knowing the full cost of registration. Last year, one of our adjudicators for Worlds received a subsidy because they had only been a member for a short time, and so it would have been nearly impossible for her to meet the subsidy criteria, but they still made efforts to engage with the Society.

The other consideration is that one of the reasons the subsidy policy was made was to make sure that people who were "hacky" and experienced couldn't just do nothing for the Society all year, turn up for Worlds trials and get a spot, receive a subsidy, and never return again. The policy was designed to keep people around who are likely to contribute to the Society.

Ryan: I would be in favour of offering a partial subsidy, so that she would maybe only have to pay \$350 or \$400, as opposed to a full subsidy where she would only have to pay \$250.

Nandini: I agree with offering some sort of subsidy. The new adjudicator (Suna) can't possibly have met the subsidy criteria because there simply isn't enough time for her to be able to. Even though she's happy to pay the full registration cost, I think



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

we should provide some sort of subsidy because of the precedent, and as a show of goodwill.

Nigel: Just because the last Executive made exemptions doesn't mean we should. If we were to offer her a subsidy, we would be giving her the benefit of the doubt that she will return, which we can't guarantee. She's already indicated that a lack of subsidy wouldn't affect her decision to go. The Society is in a somewhat dire financial position, so it wouldn't be that responsible to offer a subsidy unnecessarily.

Jacob: It would be dubious if we waive the subsidy policy for people not meeting the criteria because its purpose is making sure the Society also benefits if that person receives a subsidy.

Ryan: We've already paid for the spot. In regards to our current financial position, providing a subsidy isn't really an issue of cost to the Society. It would be more of a question of how much profit we would get back for the spots.

Anna: "I agree more with Jacob and one of Nigel's hats". She hasn't shown dedication to the Society before this.

Lachlan: How does providing a subsidy work? Do we give her money?

Anna: No. We've already paid for the spots. Subsidies determine how much money we get back when the individual pays the Society.

Ryan: For the record, Jacob and I meet the subsidy criteria.

Nigel: Does Dhanya meet it?

Worlds Subsidy Policy is reviewed.

Ryan: She's done some things, but technically, she doesn't meet the criteria in full.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Nandini: Dhanya debated at Easters, Australs and Women's – don't they count?

Ryan: She has debated a lot, but according to the definitions in the policy, she would be considered an experienced debater, and so needs to have debated with novices, or adjudicated at those tournaments in order for them to count towards meeting the subsidy criteria. I think we should review the subsidy criteria next year.

Nigel: She's experienced, she could have met the criteria by now.

Worlds subsidy amount determined by the previous Executive (\$250) and the enforcement of the Worlds Subsidy Policy are approved by the Executive.

General consensus by the Executive not to waive the Worlds Subsidy Criteria for Dhanya and Suna for the cost of registration for Worlds, as per the Worlds Subsidy Policy.

Think of the Children: Junior School's Day Update

Nandini: "I had a brief thingy in my thingy." There aren't many adjudicators. It would be good if we could get more people. If people could bring in friends on the day to help adjudicate, that would be really great.

Anna: "Bring your mum to work day."

Nandini: It would help to have a few extra people available to help on the day with picking up the slack, e.g. having a runner for the ballots, or someone to pick up the pizza.

Anna: Have you appointed a food officer?

Nandini: No. I can ask around and find someone.

Nigel: What can we do to keep cost of food down (e.g. formulas?)

Nandini: There are ways to manage the cost, e.g. cheaper pizzas on Tuesdays, formulas.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Anna: Do you have a tab director?

Nandini: Jacob will be the tab director, Anna will be the Chief Adjudicator. Everything's going well. We're not going to make an excessive amount of money because we're offering a discounted rate, but it's going well. Schools are responding well, and there have been no complaints.

Ryan: What do you mean by "discounted rate"?

Nandini: For this Junior School's Day, we're charging \$80 per team of 3 and \$25 per additional (4th) teammate, whereas we normally charge \$100 per team and \$25 per additional teammate.

With Senior School's Day, planning is going well. We're aiming to hopefully have a Senior School's Training Day.

Ryan: Are we holding a Training day for Junior School's?

Nandini: No, but hopefully we can manage to hold one for Senior School's.

Does This Logo Make My Panda Look Big? T-Shirts + Logo Redesign

Update

T-Shirts

Lachlan: I have looked into the cost of t-shirts, and have found a range of prices. Crew neck t-shirts cost \$15.99 each. We can also get v-neck t-shirts, scoop neck t-shirts, backpacks, and duffle bags for varying prices.

ACTION ITEM: LACHLAN to send the Executive the prices for the different t-shirt types.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Lachlan: We could order about 50 t-shirts at once, and then sell them throughout the year.

Anna: If we bundle the cost of t-shirts into the registration fees for Easter, then considering the size of our Easter contingent (on average), and maybe even for Australs, we would need roughly 30-40 t-shirts.

Nandini: In regards to how we (the Society) would pay for the t-shirts, we could hold Bunnings BBQs to raise funds for the t-shirts. "We're not like other debating societies. We don't have mineral wealth." With the design, we just want something generic that identifies the Society which we can reuse at different tournaments.

Rochelle: Can we get group consensus on the design before we decide?

Nandini: Yes, we can try to reach consensus, or put the final design to a vote.

Lachlan: Do we want the design to be a general design, or specific designs for specific tournaments, e.g. a different one for each Easter?

Rochelle: They should be general designs so we can keep using the t-shirts.

Nigel: Do we have a timeline for when we roll this out?

Ryan: We should decide on the logo first before we create t-shirts.

Nandini: How quickly can they be made?

Lachlan: They can be made relatively quickly.

Logo Redesign

Nandini: We should have the logo stylised better.

Lachlan: Do we keep the panda?



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Nandini: Yes. It would probably be either that, or the Macquarie lighthouse. We don't really have any other options.

Nigel: Could we have the logo as-is, but without the panda? As in, just have the text?

Rochelle: No, that looks like MULS.

Nigel: Except for the D.

Rochelle: "It's all about the D's."

Nandini: It's important to have a logo with some kind of symbol that helps to identify the Society.

Lachlan: I think we should all take a week, think about ideas for the logo, and then send me ideas which I can forward on to the t-shirt person to come up with options for us.

ACTION ITEM: ENTIRE EXECUTIVE to think about designs for the MUDS logo, and email their ideas (one design per person) to Lachlan by midnight November 29th.

Lachlan: Once I receive everyone's ideas, I will send a group email saying "here's what we send to the t-shirt person".

The Calendar Can't Hold Us (For Much Longer): End-of-Year Social

Update

Rochelle: We thought about holding an event at night, but decided to do a day event because we wanted everyone to be able to talk and reflect on the year considering this is the End of Year Social, plus people were busy at night. It will be fun, and relatively low-cost. We decided to get some catering: Woolworths does some nice platters (e.g. cheese and antipasto platters). With payment, how does reimbursement work?



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Nandini: You would pay, and then give receipts to the Treasurer who will reimburse you.

Nigel: I think we should take the MUDS banner. It would be nice if we could organise transport as well, so everyone can go together to the venue.

Ryan: I think it would be a good idea to have a registration form so we can get clear numbers for catering, and to get dietary requirements.

Anna: We don't necessarily need a registration form – maybe just get people to officially RSVP. They can let you know of their dietary requirements in advance if they have any.

Nigel: Do we have any contingency plans in case the weather is bad on the day? Maybe you could order food beforehand, and have a backup location which can always be cancelled if the weather does hold up.

ACTION ITEM: LACHLAN AND ROCHELLE to organise a backup location for the End of Year Social that can be used in case of bad weather.

Knowledge is Power: The Matter File

Nandini: The idea with how to approach the Matter File is to send around an email and get people to contribute to it. The question is, do we want to upload it to the MUDS website, or do we just give it to our teams at major tournaments (e.g. Australs and Worlds). Also, who would pay for the Matter File?

Rochelle: It would be unfair for some people to put in a lot of effort into making the Matter File, and for everyone (including people who didn't put in any effort) to be able to access it. I think it should be available for MUDS members only. Maybe we could



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

provide a password to access the Matter File with membership, or just give them to our teams at tournaments because at least then, they would be used to help the Society (in terms of our performance at those tournaments).

Ryan: In terms of how the Matter File would be paid for, historically the Society has paid. It's usually not a huge cost if they're for Australs and Worlds teams only.

Lachlan: What's our printing allowance?

Nigel: 100 double-sided pages per month.

Anna: POI has usually been part-fun and part-matter file. We should make sure the Matter File and POI don't overlap too much in terms of content.

Nandini: The Matter File was conceptualised as a collection of summaries and facts about certain issue or topics, and not really articles and dense material like in POI.

Nigel: We haven't really used our printing allowance in the past because when it comes to printing, we've been slightly disorganised, in that by the time we're ready to have things printed, it's so late that the University doesn't have enough notice to be able to print everything. If we have some sort of printing schedule and use deadlines for when we submit things to be printed, we can manage our printing allowance.

Nandini: We can use our printing allowance for it. We need it for POI, programs for Mac Mini, ballots for School's Days, posters for Marketing, Camp. The first Matter File will be small. People could even print out their own copies at home. The cost of printing will only really become an issue later on when the Matter File gets bigger.

Nigel: Our printing allowance doesn't rollover each month. I think we should have some sort of "Printing Calendar" to ensure we maximise our printing allowance. Different portfolios can use the printing allowance in different months.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Recommendation for Ryan to look into developing a Printing Calendar to determine in advance what the printing allowance for each month should be used for.

Lachlan: I think the Matter File should be posted online because “I am a big supporter of making people less dumb”. Other universities will be able to see it, which could help make us look good.

Nigel: I don’t think we should post it publicly because there may be copyright issues if there are articles which have content just copied and pasted from Wikipedia. We could use Dropbox with password access.

Anna: Copyright isn’t an issue if you just list your sources.

Lachlan: Better yet, just don’t use Wikipedia,

Ryan: I agree that it would be unfair for some people to put in a lot of effort to come up with content, and for everyone (who didn’t put in as much effort to the Matter File) to be able to access it. I think we should just keep the Matter File for our teams at tournaments.

For A Fistful of Dollars: Sponsorship and Prospectus

Nandini: We need a timeline for how we seek sponsorship. Last year we didn’t really know what was happening in regards to the Finance portfolio. The more organised we are with Finance, and the more everyone knows, the more we can do with it.

Nigel: I’ve looked into a few things. There’s the Local Matters program that Grill’d runs. It’s a sort of competition that Grill’d runs, not just for local charities, but for



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

community groups as well. Other societies on campus have entered it. The winner gets \$300, and 2nd and 3rd place get \$100 each.

Lachlan: Is there a limit to the number of times we can enter it?

Nigel: You can only do it once.

Besides that, there's also the Prospectus. I will get it from Mark – it's formatted in a version that requires a special program to open it, which I don't have. It needs to be converted into a different file format.

There was also the idea of Bunnings BBQs. It works on a sort-of contract basis, where we hold the BBQs for a certain number of weeks. We need to think about whether it worth pursuing this, in terms of how much effort it would involve if it's for a few weeks, or to see if we can negotiate a lower, more short-term contract. The other issue is that there isn't a centralised Bunnings we can all go to – we all live in different places.

Rochelle: We should look into hosting BBQs with Officeworks – some people did that for UniGames. Not many people do it, so they (Officeworks) probably wouldn't be too busy.

Nigel: I'll look into it.

Lachlan: You said the "contract" for holding BBQs with Bunnings would be for a couple of weeks. Why is that bad?

Nigel: It wouldn't necessarily be a one-off thing that we can all do on one date when we're all free. They allocate you a time that they're free for when you can hold it – they get booked up quickly in advance.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Ryan: In terms of which Bunnings to hold the BBQ at, I think the closer to the University/Ryde area, the better – that will help to build a sense of local community spirit. It might make people more likely to support us (via the BBQs).

Nigel: I can also look into Clubs NSW and local RSL Clubs for sponsorship. Apparently the legislation says that profits made from the pokies must go into community projects.

Anna: All sponsorship must be approved by University (according to Mark). Plus, I'm not sure we classify as a community program because we're affiliated with the University.

Rochelle: Do they provide one-off donations, or ongoing sponsorship?

ACTION ITEM: NIGEL to get a copy of the Prospectus in a compatible file format, and to share it with DHANYA.

Nigel: I'll try to work with intention that "every meeting, I must bring in money. If I don't, I'll contribute \$1 of my own money." We need to work out how we approach businesses for sponsorship, and how we market ourselves to them. "How do you sell yourself?"

Anna: We can try cold-calling companies. We have a Contact List of companies we can approach.

ACTION ITEM: NIGEL to get the Contact List for Sponsorship and Finance, and to share it with DHANYA.

Nandini: It's important to be mindful of that fact that there's a difference between cold-calling just for money, and cold-calling for ongoing sponsorship and building a long-term relationship with companies.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

...And All That Jazz: Any Other Business

Ryan: Do we want to have a discussion about possibly hosting a tournament in February/sometime early next year?

Anna: Jacob and I will discuss Competitions together and get back to everyone.

When Will You Be Mine? Tentative Date for Next Executive Meeting

Nandini: Should we try and set a date for our next meeting now? It probably won't be for a while...

Lachlan: I think most people will be busy during December.

Ryan: At the beginning of January, 3 Executive Members will be at Worlds. Maybe we can hold a meeting later, in the second half of January?

ACTION ITEM: ENTIRE EXECUTIVE to submit their availabilities for an Executive Meeting to be held sometime during the last three weeks of January 2014 to Nandini by January 11.

Meeting Concluded