



**muds**  
 MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
 DEBATING SOCIETY

**Executive Meeting 3 Minutes**

January 20<sup>th</sup>, 2014 – 5:30 p.m – 8 p.m., Location: The Ranch

**Present:** Nandini Bajaj (President), Ryan Thalari (Secretary), Jacob Rock (Treasurer),  
 Stephanie Fehon, Dhanya Mani, Nigel Khine, Rochelle Amys.

**Absent:** Lachlan McGrath (Vice President), Anna Kosmynina (President Emeritus).

**Agenda**

**How You Doin’? Portfolio Reviews.....2**

**Fashions Fade, Style Is Eternal: Logo + T-Shirts Update.....5**

**The Kids Are All Right: Senior School’s Day and Training Day.....5**

**Now You’re Just A Country That I Used To Own: The Commonwealth Debating  
 Championships ..... 6**

**Write Me A Letter: January Printing Allowance, and How To Use It .....7**

**Insert Shrimp Here: Organising a BBQ Fundraiser .....7**

**First Impressions Are Lasting Impressions: Ideas for Marketing and O-Week  
 Scheduling.....8**

**Mac Goes MAD – Monash Easters and Trial Policies ..... 10**

**Sorry Jessie J, But It Is All About The Money: Prospectus ..... 15**

**Strictly Business: Conduct, Procedures and Discretionary Spending ..... 16**

**Working With The Man: O-Week Meeting With University + SAB Representative .17**

**The Morning After the 3rd Date: Tentative Date for Next Executive Meeting ..... 18**



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

## **How You Doin’? Portfolio Reviews**

### Marketing

Steph: We’ll discuss marketing in more detail later in the meeting. The marketing team have had some meetings to come up with ideas. We’re not using the printing allowance since it has already been used for POI. We’ll come up with a budget for O-Week – it won’t be anything too excessive or extravagant.

### Socials

Rochelle: Lachlan and I are organising a social for the Commonwealth Debating Championships, and will have a meeting to think of more that we could hold.

### Finance

Nigel: I have a copy of the Prospectus, but there’s no discernable list of contacts. We can either leave the Prospectus as it is or edit it.

Nandini: We can discuss the Prospectus later in the meeting.

Nigel: Apart from that, I’m happy to submit something for the Grill’d Local Matters program.

### Camp

Ryan: Lachlan and I discussed which dates would be the best to hold Camp. We agreed the best options would be the end of Week 3 (August 22-24) or the end of Week 4 (August 29-31) in Semester 2.



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

Ryan: We've looked at two possible venues to hold Camp – the Collaroy Centre, and Naamaroo near Chatswood. We emailed both venues about their availabilities for those dates. We haven't heard back from Naamaroo yet, and Collaroy have emailed us saying they have availabilities for both dates.

We think the earlier date (end of Week 3) would be better because the earlier we hold it, the more useful it becomes to delegates so they can attend BP tournaments later in the semester, it minimises the chances of clashing with other debating events, and can help with the quality of internals if people learn the basics quickly. If there's no objections to holding it at the end of Week 3, Lachlan and I will move forward with making a tentative booking with Collaroy.

Nandini: Why not hold it at the end of Week 2?

Ryan: So we have more chances to get more people to sign up, particularly new members.

Dhanya: It would also provide more time to talk to other societies to see if they have anyone interested in attending or mentoring.

Nigel: Be careful not to rely on too many people signing up to Camp during MacFest – it's better to have final numbers for Camp earlier to help with organisation.

Ryan: That's true, but we do get some people who join MUDS for the first time during MacFest that are interested in attending Camp.

Steph: We get some new members during MacFest who end up attending Camp.

### Competitions

Jacob: The main thing to talk about is the Commonwealth Debating Championships, which we'll talk about later in the Meeting.



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

## Publications

Jacob: I haven't received any submissions yet for POI.

Steph: When's the due date for submissions?

Jacob: February 10.

Nandini: In regards to the Matter File, submissions of approximately 1000 words are due before January 31<sup>st</sup>.

**ACTION ITEM: ENTIRE EXEUTIVE to send Jacob their article area for POI submissions. Submissions due by February 10.**

**ACTION ITEM: ENTIRE EXEUTIVE to send Nandini their articles for the Matter File by January 31.**

## Schools

Nandini: Everything is going well. Schools have registered for Senior School's Day, and the mailout has been sent. It's all good.

## Internals

Steph: Nandini and I will have a meeting to discuss and plan Internals.

## Externals

Ryan: We sent one team to Chennai Worlds. Macquarie A finished on 14 points, and ranked 151<sup>st</sup> out of 340 teams, which is a good result.

Besides that, there's not much else to report on or discuss except for Easters, which we'll discuss later.



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

### **Fashions Fade, Style Is Eternal: Logo + T-Shirts Update**

Nandini: Lachlan isn't here, so we can't really talk a lot about the t-shirts since he has the information. Ideally we should have a logo finalised by February.

**ACTION ITEM: LACHLAN to email Nandini about t-shirts and the logo.**

Nigel: T-Shirts only need a 1-week turnaround. Do we want to have the t-shirts just for Easters, or do we want to have them for O-Week as well?

Steph: I think it would be good for being able to present an image of the Society if we could have the t-shirts for O-Week.

### **The Kids Are All Right: Senior School's Day and Training Day**

Nandini: The registration form for adjudicators is up. Please register if you can make it and haven't already. It's on the 18<sup>th</sup> of February.

Steph: What date is the School's Training Day?

Nandini: The day before Senior School's Day (Training Day on February 17). If anyone would like to help with the Training Day, please let me know. We only need 3-4 people at most for it.

Steph: Helping out with the Training Day is really useful if you've never done it before because it helps you to learn as both a mentor and an adjudicator. It's typically just a morning thing.



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

## **Now You're Just A Country That I Used To Own: The Commonwealth**

### **Debating Championships**

Nandini: I have a couple of questions. What's happening with the social? It's important that that's made clear. How are we going in regards to numbers for registration? Also, how's our budget?

Rochelle: For the Social, Lachlan and I were thinking of holding it at the Ranch. Lachlan told me that there was an issue with holding it there, but then later told me that it had been resolved.

Steph: We should have a finalised booking ASAP so we can update the event page, and also because we need to finalise the food budget.

Nigel: For Mac Mini, we held the social at Chatswood, and that turned out really well.

Steoh: How are we going with registration?

Jacob: We have 5 teams registered and 3 adjudicators.

Steph: So that's roughly 20 people.

Nandini: How's our budget?

Jacob: We need a complete plan for the social before we can finalise the budget. We're charging \$20 per person.

Nigel: Why only \$20. We charged \$50 per person for Mac Mini which went for 2 days, and we barely made a profit.

Steph: Mac Mini was 2 days, whereas this is only one day. Also, I told Anna that food wouldn't be too expensive for the CDC's. I can make pasta, which would make



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

food costs lower than for Mac Mini where I had a large food budget and over-catered. It would work out to be roughly \$5 per person.

### **Write Me A Letter: January Printing Allowance, and How To Use It**

Nandini: I don't think we used our printing allowance for January.

Steph: I thought it was used for POI. Does it rollover?

Nandini: Not sure. Let's look into it, and if it doesn't rollover, then we could use it to print some posters.

Steph: I could print flyers for Easters.

**ACTION ITEM: NANDINI to investigate whether the monthly printing allowance rolls over into subsequent months if unused.**

### **Insert Shrimp Here: Organising a BBQ Fundraiser**

Rochelle: I can look into organising something at Officeworks, although I'm not sure about the booking procedure. We could try Bunnings, but they have a roster for BBQ use.

Nigel: I think it would be good to hold the BBQ before Easters. The other issue to consider is location. There isn't really an Officeworks that's too central to all of us, and there may not be a lot of people at Officeworks on the weekend. Bunnings is more likely to have a large number of people then.

Rochelle: Officeworks provided some materials for holding a BBQ when one was held there for UniGames.



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

**ACTION ITEM: ROCHELLE to contact Officeworks about holding a BBQ, and to report to Nandini by the end of February.**

**ACTION ITEM: NIGEL AND DHANYA to contact Bunnings about holding a BBQ, and to report to Nandini by the end of February.**

## **First Impressions Are Lasting Impressions: Ideas for Marketing and O-Week Scheduling**

Nandini: The reason we decided to discuss this in a meeting with the Executive rather than just leaving this up to the marketing team is that although last year the marketing team were productive in coming up with ideas, the rest of the Executive weren't necessarily always that clear on what the plan was for marketing, and so some people were unsure about how to market the Society and debating events.

We figured that there were two main ways we could go about marketing – we could approach individuals one-on-one, or work on creating a brand image of the whole Society which we could use for marketing and sending a message about who we are and what we do as a Society.

Steph: I agree that it simplifies marketing if we have one central theme, but a bit of both approaches can be good. The other thing to note from last year was staffing issues for the stall during O-Week and MacFest. The stalls were occasionally understaffed, and sometimes people were underprepared to greet people. It's important to make sure that the people working at the stall have a clear idea about what we want to market to people.





**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

Steph: Short spiels at lectures and having advertisements on the big screen in the E7B courtyard were also good marketing tactics which we could do again this year.

Nandini: If anyone knows any lecturers, then let me know about it. I think it would be good to try giving short spiels at lectures – maybe at a 1<sup>st</sup>-year law lecture, or an introduction class for philosophy or sociology.

Steph: It's good to give the spiel during the mid-lecture break, as 1<sup>st</sup> years often tend to stay in their seats during the break for their first couple of lectures while they get used to the idea of lectures.

Also, there were a lot of good ideas for marketing, O-Week and member retention from our first Executive Meeting. I think it could be good for the Marketing Officers to look over those ideas, brainstorm and draw ideas from that, and then share those ideas with the Executive.

Ryan: The brainstorm from the first Meeting is included in the Minutes from that Meeting. I can send them to the Marketing Officers to look over.

Nandini: We also need to work out what sort of image (as a Society) we want to send. Do we want to emphasise having intellectual discussions, or having fun and partying?

Rochelle: It's nice when the people working together at the stall are close, but sometimes it can send a message of exclusivity if they spend all their time at the stall with each other rather than with new people approaching the stall. The people working at the stall should try not to spend too much time talking to each other when there are other people/potential members nearby.

Steph: We could try and market Easters as something which is "2/3 are new people like you". The posters like the ones we've previously used are useful in showing that



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

we're a fun Society, but also show that at the same time, we're a place to unashamedly geek out (if you're into that).

Nandini: Many societies have good tag lines.

Steph: I've always liked the line "Where discussion gets dirty".

**General approval of the Society tag line "Where discussion gets dirty..."**

Nandini: This year the University is having its 50-year Jubilee, and will have a parade and floats. I think it would be good if we could get involved.

Rochelle: We're also the Student Group of the Year. Let's market that.

Nandini: It would be great if people could try to make themselves available for the stall and marketing as best they can during O-Week and MacFest.

Rochelle: Once our timetables are finalised, we could share our timetables and work out a stall roster for O-Week.

Nigel: What about having a demonstration debate during O-Week?

Steph: We could have one on Thursday (the last day of O-Week) and promote that debate all during the week in the lead-up to it.

**Mac Goes MAD – Monash Easters and Trial Policies**

Nandini: We need to have an Easters Trial Policy. I'm in favour of current system, although one thing to note is that we should be mindful of trying to sort teams as early as possible.

Steph: I thought that team formations were done well last year. The only thing I think we should consider is keeping the mentors in the loop if there are any team changes.



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

It's important that the mentors have as much information available as possible so they are able to prepare (e.g. allocating and practicing in speaker positions).

***Recommendation for Internal Selector(s) to keep Mentors updated in case any changes to teams are being made, or are being considered.***

Jacob: In order to try and reduce chances of people dropping out, maybe we could get people to pay earlier?

Nandini: With Easters, we try to be a little more flexible with payments because often many of the people are new and therefore not necessarily used to paying large amounts of money to attend debating tournaments, and so confronting them early on about payment may make them shy away from attending.

Dhanya: People pulling out of Easters is probably not so much about cost, but about interest. They don't really know what Easters is, and so they don't necessarily feel committed to the idea of attending Easters, which can make it easier to pull out.

Rochelle: I think it would be a good idea if we got people to socialise once teams are formed.

Steph: Maybe we could hold a social the evening that trials are held?

Nigel: Maybe instead of getting people to pay the full amount early, we could just charge a deposit which would be refunded if they aren't selected to debate in a team? To clarify, do we have to change trial policies every year?

Steph: It's the choice of the Executive. The Executive can change the trial policy if changes are needed, or they can keep them as they are if there aren't any issues with the policy.

Nigel: Does the Easters Committee require us to have two separate trial policies (one for novices, one for experienced debaters), or was that the Executive's own decision?



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

Steph: It was the Executive's own decision.

Ryan: Going back to the idea of a social once teams are formed, maybe we could have a pre-Easters social instead of holding a social the same night as trials, because that may put time-constraints on the selectors for forming teams if they have to form them before the social begins?

Nandini: We can discuss a social another time.

Steph: When do we have to register the number of teams and adjudicators we're interested in ending to Easters?

Ryan: We haven't been given a date yet, but we won't be able to properly decide the number of teams we can fill until after O-Week when we see how many new members sign up, and how many people are interested in attending Easters. We may not be able to send as many teams as we have in the last couple of years unless we can get a lot of novices though.

Nandini: This year Easters will be in Melbourne, which is an attractive destination, so we shouldn't sell ourselves short in terms of how many teams we can expect to send.

Steph: Another thing to consider is that each year, we often have a couple of novices remaining who weren't selected to be in a team. Maybe if there are enough remaining, we could form an all-novice team? We try to make sure that every team has at least one experienced member, but that's just a maximum, not a minimum requirement.

Nandini: I think we should keep the current Easters Trial Policy, and ensure that the Internal Selector(s) update the mentors about any changes to teams if changes are being made or considered.



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

Steph: We need to ensure that we have very experienced Internal Selectors.

Nandini: We also need to organise an External Selector.

Ryan: Dhanya and I will look into finding an External Selector, but I think we should try and organise trial dates as quickly as possible. I was looking at the university calendar, and based on the dates for Easters, I think the best dates for Easters trials would be either Sunday March 23 (beginning of Week 4) or Sunday March 30 (beginning of Week 5). I think that the earlier we hold trials, the better it will be because it will allow the teams to have more time to practice before Easters, and will allow time to make changes in case anyone pulls out.

Nandini: The 30<sup>th</sup> would probably be too late.

Ryan: So does the 23<sup>rd</sup> work?

Rochelle: I think MULS Camp is on during the 23<sup>rd</sup> of March.

Ryan: We want to be careful about avoiding a clash with MULS Camp given that typically a lot of new members who attend Easters are 1<sup>st</sup>-year law students.

Steph: What about March 16<sup>th</sup>?

Ryan: That means we'll only have one Internals before trials, and we've used Internals in the past to promote Easters.

Steph: We could hold Training Days before Trials. Maybe on the 8<sup>th</sup> and 15<sup>th</sup> of March?

Nandini: The earlier we hold Trials, the better it will be for development. We could aim for a big social media push to promote Easters to help with recruitment.

Steph: We would need a lot of mentors to help with the Training Days to help them run from a logistical perspective (e.g. leading small groups activities), plus it would be good training for mentoring and adjudicating.



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

Ryan: So are we agreed in holding Easter Trials on the 16<sup>th</sup> of March?

*General hesitation.*

Ryan: We also need to consider adjudicator trials. I think that if we hold Easter Trials on the 16<sup>th</sup>, that we should hold Adjudicator Trials on Monday the 24<sup>th</sup> because the 17<sup>th</sup> is our second Internals, and I think we should try and create an atmosphere of how Internals is by setting it up in the first couple of weeks before we hold trials.

Steph: I agree. I could use the Internals on the 17<sup>th</sup> to run an introduction to adjudicating session, and then we can hold Adjudicator Trials during Internals the week after (on the 24<sup>th</sup>).

Nandini: ***"I'd like to propose the motion that we hold Easter Trials for debaters on Sunday March 16, and hold Adjudicator Trials for Easter on Monday March 24."***

***Stephanie seconds.***

***Motion passes unanimously.***

Ryan: We also need to determine how we're going to find our Internal Selectors. Do we want to use the same type of application procedure that we've used before, or do we just want to approach people individually who we think/know are best qualified for being Internal Selectors who aren't going to debate for Macquarie at Easter this year?

Steph: I think we should have an application procedure.

Ryan: Are we happy to use the same application form that was used previously for the Internal Selectors?

*General consensus.*



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

Ryan: We also need to set an application deadline for the Internal Selectors. It needs to be before the first Internals of the year.

Steph: We need to determine the Internal Selectors before the first Internals, so the application deadline needs to be a little earlier.

Nandini: What about March 6?

*General consensus.*

**ACTION ITEM: RYAN AND DHANYA to set up the Easters Internal Selector**

**Application Form.**

**ACTION ITEM: RYAN AND DHANYA to find an External Selector for Easters Trials.**

### **Sorry Jessie J, But It Is All About The Money: Prospectus**

Nigel: I have a copy of the prospectus, but it's in a file format which I can open, but I need a specific program to be able to edit it. The program costs \$6. Will I be reimbursed by the Society if I were to purchase the program? What's the procedure for reimbursement in cases like this?

Steph: The Society typically reimburses expenses that can't help but be incurred for the Society (e.g. food for School's Day). So for things like this, if you're unsure about whether or not you can be reimbursed, feel free to send the Executive an email regarding approval for reimbursement.

Ryan: I'm fine with reimbursing the purchase of this software so the Prospectus can be edited and sent out, but can we make the Prospectus in an accessible/compatible



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

format so that future Finance Officers/future Executives don't have to accrue the cost of this software every time the Prospectus needs to be edited?

Steph: Maybe you could work in your spare time to make the Prospectus in a more accessible format. Can we have a suggestion for creating a specific policy regarding spending and reimbursements?

**ACTION ITEM: TREASURER (JACOB) to create a Spending Policy which makes things like procedures for reimbursements clear.**

### **Strictly Business: Conduct, Procedures and Discretionary Spending**

Nigel: Do we want to come up with a specific plan for setting dates for Executive Meetings and finalising Meeting Agendas?

Steph: Maybe we could agree to have a Meeting Agenda ready 24 hours before the set-date for each Executive Meeting?

Nigel: We could set rough dates for every Exec Meeting?

Steph: An easier way to keep up to date could be to just try having a 5-minute debrief among the Executive members at the end of every Internals, and then set a date for an Executive Meeting when there are major and/or contentious issues to discuss.

Nigel: We could give a gentle nudge to other Executive members if someone forgets something. We could also try Content Management Systems, like Google Docs where everyone can access the same materials and use those to communicate since it can be difficult to organise face-to-face meetings.





**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

Steph: Rather than replacing Executive Meetings with those altogether, people could use those within portfolios (e.g. specific Google Docs for Marketing shared among the Marketing team, which everyone in the team can access and edit.).

## **Working With The Man: O-Week Meeting With The University + SAB**

### **Representative**

Nandini: I've had talks regarding possibly bringing back the Vice-Chancellor's Debate, but haven't heard anything back since my initial discussion. Similarly, I've had discussions about possibly organising a School's Day through Law Faculty, but have received no reply since. Does anyone think either of these are worth pursuing further?

Steph: Both sound good, so it would be great if we could.

**ACTION ITEM: NANDINI to follow up on discussions about the Vice-Chancellor's Debate and the possibility of organising a School's Day through the Law Faculty.**

Nigel: With the O-Week Meeting with the University, I raised this because I just wanted to see if people could attend, since not everyone responded to the email about it. Do we want to suggest having time limits for when emails should be responded to?

Steph: Maybe we could just suggest that as a courtesy, everyone should reply to emails as soon as possible, even if just to say that people are unsure or unable to do anything about it. Also, Nandini could send follow-up emails listing who has replied and who hasn't.



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

Steph: In regards to the available SAB positions, Mark was previously a part of the SAB, which was good for the Society because the SAB was able to have discussions about financial transactions for student groups (e.g. the procedure for transferring money to pay for tournaments). I think that the Treasurer is best placed to liaise with the University on behalf of the Society in regards to financial matters. After the Treasurer, I think that our Finance Officers should be our next point-of-call regarding discussions about financial issues with the University.

Nigel: The SAB is a good discussion forum, sort of like a focus group of students. Meetings are at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesdays, about once a month. It would be good for us to have at least one person from MUDS on the Board.

**ACTION ITEM: JACOB, NIGEL AND LACHLAN to apply for positions on the SAB before COB Friday 24 January.**

### **The Morning After the 3<sup>rd</sup> Date: Tentative Date for Next Exec Meeting**

#### **(February)**

Steph: What about February 24<sup>th</sup>?

Ryan: MAD Mini is on between February 21-23. I'll be coming back from MAD Mini late on the 24th, and I think there may be a couple of other Executive Members who might go as well.

Steph: What about Thursday February 20 during the evening, or the 27<sup>th</sup>?

Dhanya: Maybe we should use a Doodle poll to determine the date since two Executive members aren't here.



**muds**  
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY  
DEBATING SOCIETY

Steph: I agree that we should do a Doodle poll, but I also think it would be good if everyone here could try and keep those dates free in case they work out.

*Date for next Executive Meeting to be determined by Doodle poll.*

**Meeting Concluded**