



muds
 MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
 DEBATING SOCIETY

Executive Meeting 4 Minutes

January 27th, 2014 – 6 p.m. – 8 p.m., Location: My Sweet Memory, Strathfield

Present: Nandini Bajaj (President), Ryan Thalari (Secretary), Jacob Rock (Treasurer), Lachlan McGrath (Vice President), Anna Kosmynina (President Emeritus), Stephanie Fehon, Nigel Khine.

Absent: Dhanya Mani, Rochelle Amys.

Agenda

So What’s New With You? Portfolio Updates 1

Image Isn’t Everything, It’s The Only Thing: Logo + T-Shirts Update.....8

You Never Get a Second Chance to Make A First Impression: O-Week 10

You Never Forget Your First Time: First Internals of the Year (Content + Social)... 12

Utter MADness – Monash Easters, Trials, and Subsidies 14

 Trial Policy..... 14

 Subsidy Amount..... 14

 External Selector 16

 Internal Selector 16

Because This Isn’t ‘The Devil Wears Prada’: POI and Matter File 16

If MUDS Was A Rich Girl: Treasury Policies 16

Doing It For The Kids: School’s Training Day 17

Talk That Talk: Communication with Members + Notices of Policies and Dates..... 19

I Will Wait, I Will Wait For You: Tentative Date for Next Exec Meeting..... 19



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

So What's New With You? Portfolio Updates

Schools

Nandini: Senior School's Day was fun and went well. We handled the complaint about School's Training Day (will address later in the Meeting – see Agenda Item about School's Training Day, p.17). Everyone seemed happy with Senior School's Day, including the University's Marketing department.

Anna: How many teams were there?

Jacob: There were 32 teams, so roughly 140 students.

Steph: How are those numbers compared to previous Senior School' Days?

Jacob: Comparatively larger, but not by a huge margin.

Nandini: How much did we earn from Senior School's Day?

Jacob: We earned roughly \$3650.

Nandini: We will start planning Intermediate School's Day soon. Hopefully it won't clash too much with people's plans to attend and/or travel around Australs.

Internals

Nandini: Steph and I had a meeting to plan all the Internals sessions up until Easters. We have planned Training Days before Easters trials.

Steph: We've organised 2 Training Days to be held before Easters Trials, and have planned activities for both days. The only cost for the Training Days will be for food.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Ryan: Maybe we could use the money from financial memberships from O-Week to cover the costs of food?

Steph: I think we can probably use that money for other things. I won't be able to personally cater for these training days, so we'll need to organise that in advance. We also need to arrange for mentors to help on the day. I will message potential mentors for those days.

Ryan: Do we have a location confirmed yet? In the past we haven't been able to book rooms during the first three weeks of the semester.

Jacob: I think it's now free to book rooms during the first 3 weeks – the Security Fees have been waived.

Anna: With Internals, there's been discussion in the past about whether or not to stream training sessions and debates based on ability. Have you discussed this?

Steph: From my point of view, we should plan Internals up until Easters, and then decide in an Executive Meeting whether or not to do that (stream Internals) in the lead-up to Australs (e.g. Mac 1 and Mac 2 teams for Australs would debate against each other).

POI/Matter File

Nandini: POI is being published. In regards to the Matter file, I haven't received submissions from all the Executive Members. I've received submissions from Anna and Ryan, but am yet to receive submissions from Steph, Lachlan, Dhanya and Jacob. Nigel said he wouldn't be making a submission (he said that he may not



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Nandini: attend Easters) and I'm not sure about that status of Rochelle's submission. I would like to have the Matter File ready for teams to use at Easters.

ACTION ITEM: NANDINI to follow up on receiving submissions for the Matter File.

Marketing

Steph: The Marketing Team had intended on meeting in-person to discuss ideas and then present those ideas to the Executive at our next Meeting, but we haven't been able to. We've emailed each other with a list of ideas and duties/tasks for O-Week (will discuss further later in the Meeting - see Agenda Item about O-Week, p.10).

Socials

Lachlan: How did people find it the social for the Commonwealth Debating Championships we hosted?

Anna: It went really well. There was lots of pizza for everyone. The tab lasted for 90 minutes, so people had enough time to be able to use it. The venue was close to the University, and it was good, just like any bar – the fact that it was Strike as opposed to just a regular bar didn't detract from anything.

Lachlan: I've started compiling list of venues we can go to for future events – I have about 6-7 places listed so far.

Nandini: If you have any concerns, don't be scared to reach out to Executive for ideas or assistance.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Secretary

Ryan: Not really anything to report. A newsletter was sent around the end of January and I'm planning a newsletter to send at the end of O-Week.

Externals

Ryan: Most of what I have to say regarding Externals will be discussed later in the Meeting (see Agenda Item about Easters, p.13). There are some upcoming tournaments which I will notify MUDS members of, e.g. ANU Pro-Am Grand Slam on March 9, UWS Open on March 29.

Camp

Ryan: We've confirmed a location and a date for Camp. Camp will be held at the Collaroy Centre from August 22-24, which is the end of Week 3 in Semester 2. Lachlan has paid a deposit for 35 people. We haven't discussed it yet, but I'd like us to create a schedule, discuss the cost of registration at the next Executive Meeting, and publicly announce Camp at Easters with those details.

Agenda Item for Next Executive Meeting: Discussion about registration costs for Camp.

Anna: Announcing Camp at Easters last year was good – you should do it again this year. Have you given thought to whether you'll allow non-MUDS mentors?

Ryan: Yes we have, and yes we will.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Competitions

Jacob: We recently held the Commonwealth Debating Championships (CDC's), and that went well. We made roughly a \$50 profit, even after expanding the tab at the social. Thank you to Steph for making that (low cost which resulted in a higher tab) possible by catering.

Nandini: Just to note, someone with vegan dietary requirements was not catered for, but that was easily addressed.

Anna: How many teams attended?

Jacob: 13 teams + 1 swing team.

Anna: We had teams from all over Sydney attend (UNSW, UWS and the University of Sydney), as well as ANU from Canberra and the University of Wollongong. This is a good sign that MUDS is starting to draw other institutions to our events.

Nigel: As a segue into discussing the Finance Portfolio; we made a small profit from the CDC's based on the registration cost we set, and people got a lot of value for money. Do we want to consider increasing the registration cost in the future?

Jacob: MUDS' financial state is not actually as bad as some people have been led to believe. Our financial position was relatively low at the time of last year's AGM because we hadn't had Junior School's Day yet, and there were various non-deposited cheques. We eventually held Junior School's Day in December, and said cheques have since been deposited, so our financial position isn't as bad as some people think.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Steph: We shouldn't try to profit too much from these things – we want people to have fun.

Nigel: In future, could we put all remaining money made from the day into tabs for that event?

Anna: We still had a lot of value for money with the registration cost we set. Also, our rep (for lack of a better term) as a society isn't strong enough for many people to be willing to pay a high registration cost to attend.

Steph: I agree with Nigel in that we should put remaining money from an event into the social for that event.

Nigel: The reason I raised this is because MUDS won't always be able to depend on Steph being able to cater for its events, and so Steph's catering may not be a sustainable method of providing food at the cost we do now. Maybe we could gradually charge another \$5 to the registration cost for our events?

Steph: There are easy ways to cater cheaply. I'm personally in favour of MUDS being able to hold cheap 1-day tournaments for people who are busy and may not be able to commit to a long and expensive tournament.

Nandini: This is a discussion we can have in depth another time.

Finance

Nigel: The shared Finance Google Drive has worked well with the members of the Finance Portfolio.

ACTION ITEM: NIGEL to share MUDS Google Drive with the entire Executive.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Nigel: Do I need to propose a motion to send out the Prospectus?

Steph: That's under your purview/discretion as the Finance Officer.

Nigel: The Prospectus is being updated – we can edit it now. We will try to have it ready to be sent out by the end of March.

Jacob: Will future Executives be able to update the Prospectus?

Anna: We should focus on trying to send out the Prospectus as soon as possible.

ACTION ITEM: FINANCE OFFICERS (NIGEL AND DHANYA) to convert the Prospectus into a compatible file format, and to send out the Prospectus before the end of March.

Nigel: We've also finalised the MUDS submission for the Grill'd Local Matters program. I have the letters to send Bunnings regarding MUDS holding a BBQ at one of their stores – I just have to send the letters. They won't tell us when they have available facilities until we submit the letters.

ACTION ITEM: NIGEL to send the letters to Bunnings regarding MUDS holding a BBQ at one of their stores.

Image Isn't Everything, It's The Only Thing: Logo + T-Shirts Update

Nandini: There's already been a lot of discussion on this issue. I've found a program similar to PhotoShop which is free to use for 30 days, so people need to act quickly if they wish to contribute any further logo ideas/changes.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Anna: We could also use Gimp – it's free software that anyone can use. It's sophisticated enough to create an image like in PhotoShop, and can change the size of an image (using vectors) without distorting the resolution/pixel quality of the image.

Steph: I think we should get rid of the ellipsis on tagline because it throws the text off-centre. I like the updated panda logo from the graphic designer.

Anna: What will we do with the logo? The original plan was to have t-shirts made featuring the new logo ready before O-Week. What's the production plan now?

Lachlan: I also prefer the logo design from the graphic designer because it's a more streamlined image.

Steph: Having t-shirts with the new logo for O-Week would be ideal, but having a good logo and nice t-shirts for Easters is more important. Maybe we could wait until we organise our Easters contingent so we have the exact number of t-shirts we want to order and the exact sizes we need?

Anna: So we'll put the new logo (once it's finalised) on our electronic stuff, and then order things (such as t-shirts) later. Also, I would like to change the colour from the original because it's hard to work with.

Lachlan: I think we should have more blue in the turquoise.

Nandini: Do we want the t-shirts to be that blue-ish colour with the new logo on top of it?

Anna: We need to have a version of the logo which has a white background with the MUDS logo on it which we can use for official things like letterheads. Maybe the t-shirt should be similar (white t-shirt with logo on it)?



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Steph: With the t-shirt design, I think we should scrap the ellipsis from the tagline, have the tagline at the back, and “MUDS” written on the front with the panda underneath it. Maybe we could have “Easters 2014” written underneath it?

Ryan: I don’t think we should write the name of a tournament on it so we can have the t-shirts be used as general “all-round” t-shirts – e.g. they could also be worn at Camp or MacFest.

Steph: We could leave room so people have space to write down all the tournaments they’ve attended?

ACTION ITEM: MARKETING TEAM (STEPH, LACHLAN AND ROCHELLE) to come up with a t-shirt design to be shared with the Executive for approval.

You Never Get a Second Chance to Make A First Impression: O-Week

Steph: Here are some ideas for O-Week that the Marketing Team came up with:
Organised timetable/roster for Executive members to be at the stall, an ad on the big screen outside E7B, chalk signs, a unified spiel (to be given at the stall), presentations at lectures, and baking.

Nandini: The deadline for submitting ads for the big screen have passed. I’ve emailed some unit convenors about us giving presentations at lectures, and I’ve had responses from some. I’ll approach the Foundations of Law lecturer personally.

ACTION ITEM: NANDINI to send Executive MUDS fonts.

Steph: We’ll keep the “punny” idea for the posters. They’re clear, fun, and shows there’s variety – we’re more than just serious debating. I’ll prepare a spiel for the stall.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Nandini: We're in Stall 66, which is the first stall on right corner near E7B Mason theatre.

Steph: We need a blurb on the image of the Society that we want to be sold, but we also need to be mindful that there are a variety of people who will approach the stall and use discretion when marketing – some people will be very outgoing, but some may be very shy.

Lachlan: When are people free to help out with the stall?

Steph: We can determine that using a Doodle Poll. I've also created little flyers that we can give out at lectures.

Anna: What about our printing allowance? I thought we used it up for POI.

Jacob: We have 300 pages left.

Steph: I will print handouts for lectures as well as posters.

Nigel: The deadline for O-Week printing has passed.

Nandini: We also have a timeslot for the stage booked for Wednesday at 10 a.m. We can hold a funny demonstration debate.

Nigel: At the O-Week Meeting, they raised a couple of new things for O-Week: Any money earned (e.g. financial membership) will be collected each day, and there are new insurance policies which require that student groups list/register all new members.

ACTION ITEM: MARKETING TEAM (STEPH, LACHLAN AND ROCHELLE) to send out roster for O-Week.

ACTION ITEM: NANDINI to spend Sunday baking.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Anna: When we post things on Facebook such as “new members, come and hang out at the stall”, we should also be mindful to include our recurring members, and to also say “feel free to ask Executive members if you have any questions or concerns”.

You Never Forget Your First Time: First Internals of the Year (Content + Social)

Nandini: In terms of content, Steph and I have planned in detail what will be run until Easters. The topic for the first Internals will be about legalising drugs. It’s an accessible topic for all debaters. “I don’t want to take them to Uzbekistan yet.” I would like as many Executive members to attend as possible – the more the merrier, as it will help create a sense of inclusion. I will send around talking points for the pre-Internals social session at UBar. For the social, I’d like something planned ASAP.

Anna: Will there be a demonstration debate? We will need to provide notice so people can prepare.

Steph: I think we should. It’s a great way to show that we are both a fun and sophisticated society. It’ll help show the difference between high school and university debating.

Nandini: I’m happy to have it, but want to have roughly 30 minutes for training, 30 minute prep time, and start debates at 7.

Anna: If we have Internals (including a demonstration debate) and a social and a debrief, the night will run very late. Maybe we can have the O-Week debrief another time – maybe Thursday?



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

ACTION ITEM: ENTIRE EXECUTIVE to organise a time for an O-Week debrief.

Nigel: I don't think the topic for the demo debate should be about superheroes – it can be a very polarising topic.

Lachan: We could have the social at Grill'd? That way we contribute to our Grill'd jar while we're there.

Steph: What about having it at Strike? That worked well for the CDC's.

ACTION ITEM: LACHLAN to organise social for the first Internals.

Anna: I think we should have a BBQ before the first Internals. We should start at 4/4:30 p.m. so that food is ready when people arrive, and so we're not busy cooking and are able to talk to the new members.

Ryan: What about pizzas? Dominos have \$5 pizzas on Mondays Pizzas, and there's a variety of pizzas for that price. Although maybe we wouldn't be allowed to bring them into UBar?

Anna: I think we can just stick a BBQ. It's fun and not that hard to set up.

Ryan: Also, the Internal Selectors for Easters need as much information as possible about the novices – not just about their debating abilities, but some information about their personality in terms who they may (or may not) work well with could be useful. Since we only have one Internals before Easters trials, it would be great if experienced people could provide feedback on the novices they see. I can create a Google Form for people to fill out.

Steph: If we have online feedback forms, people may forget to fill it out. We should have feedback forms on paper so that people will see the forms during the debate and remember to fill them out.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Utter MADness – Monash Easters, Trials, and Subsidies

Trial Policy

Nandini: We need to publish and publicise the Trial Policy. Are we fine with keeping the same Trial Policy for Easters as was used last year?

General consensus to use the same Easters Trial Policy from 2013 for 2014.

ACTION ITEM: RYAN to publicise Trial Dates and the Trial Policy for Easters before Monday March 3.

Subsidy Amount

Nandini: We've received \$1000 from the University to provide subsidies for Easters. In our funding application, we said that we would use funding to reach a subsidy goal of \$200-\$250 (i.e. subsidising \$200-\$250 of the cost of registration). We should follow that.

Lachlan: How much will people pay after subsidies?

Ryan: The full cost of registration is \$360 per person for both debaters and adjudicators.

Nandini: I want to reach a subsidy goal of \$200. If we're budgeting without the University funding, we could subsidise around \$160 of the registration cost per person. We can push that further with the University funding we received. I don't think we want people to pay more than \$160 each.

Steph: How many teams will we be sending?

Ryan: Institutional Registration opens this Monday (March 3). We've sent 8 teams and 7-8 adjudicators to the last 3 Easters. I don't think we'll be able to fill as many spots,



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Ryan: but I can apply for 8 teams and 7 adjudicators anyway in case we can fill that many spots, and if we can't, we should be able to return or on-sell the extra spots.

General consensus to apply for 8 teams and 7 adjudicators for Easters 2014.

Nandini: MUDS will spend \$6200 if we subsidise \$200 of the registration cost for 31 people (they would pay \$160 each).

Steph: If we take \$1000 off that, MUDS would pay \$5200. Maybe we can subsidise registration costs further so that people only have to pay \$150 each?

Ryan: Last year our Easters contingent had 32 people, and we subsidised \$160 per person. That ended up costing MUDS \$5120. If we subsidise \$200 per person in a contingent of 31 people, it will cost MUDS \$5200 after using the University funding ($[\$200 \times 31] - \1000). So MUDS would be spending an extra \$80 than last year in order to subsidise a further \$40 of the registration cost per person.

Nigel: Weren't we planning to include the cost of MUDS t-shirts in registration costs?

Steph: We could subsidise the registration cost so that people would only pay \$150 for tournament registration, and charge an additional \$10 for a MUDS t-shirt.

Stephanie: "I would like to propose the motion that we subsidise the tournament registration cost of \$360 by \$210 so that tournament registration will cost \$150 per person, and that we charge an additional \$10 per person for a MUDS t-shirt, such that people will end up making a final payment of \$160 per person which will include the cost of individual registration for the tournament and a MUDS t-shirt."

Nandini seconds.

6 votes in favour, 0 against, 1 abstention (Nigel).

Motion passes.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

External Selector

Ryan: Dhanya and I have contacted a few people about being our External Selector.

Dhanya has said that Julian Ingham from UNSW is able to be the External Selector, but I am concerned that he has seen too many of the experienced people who are trialling debate before. I will contact Ash Shand and Daniel Delimihalis to see if they are available on the day. If not, we can confirm with Julian.

Internal Selector

Ryan: So far, the only real application has been by me. Nicola indicated that she's interested in adjudicating at Easters – I can ask her if she's free on the day to be our second Internal Selector if no other suitable candidates apply.

Because This Isn't 'The Devil Wears Prada': POI and Matter File

Nandini: I mostly covered this already in the portfolio updates. POI is being published, and I am awaiting articles for the Matter File which I would like to be ready for teams to use at Easters.

If MUDS Was A Rich Girl: Treasury Policies

Jacob: I emailed the Executive an updated Reimbursement Policy. It's unlikely to be permanent because student groups are in the process of getting debit cards. This policy would just be used as an interim measure. Did anyone have any thought on the policy?



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Steph: It was good.

Ryan: I just had a note on the wording of one of the sentences. Somewhere in the policy, it says something along the lines of “If this purchase has been made before”. I think we should change that part to something like “If there is a precedent for this type of purchase”, otherwise someone could interpret that to mean that they will be reimbursed for a purchase if they’ve already made the purchase.

Stephanie: “I would like to propose the motion that we approve and pass the updated Reimbursement Policy once Ryan’s suggestions have been applied to the wording of the section he raised.”

Nandini seconds.

Motion passes unanimously.

Doing It For The Kids: School’s Training Day

Anna: Are people aware of the problem that arose on the School’s Training Day? We want to fill the Executive in on what happened so we can help prevent this from happening again in the future.

Nandini: We reached capacity for the School’s Training Day before the date for registration closed. A school who applied after we reached capacity (but before the closing date for registration) were upset by this and complained to the University (which somehow reached the Marketing department). Jacob was confronted about the issue at a meeting with the University, and we had 20 minutes to find an additional



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Nandini: person to help with the Training Day. We had to offer them \$300, and charged the school less than 50% of the registration fees on the day.

In future, we need to put the registration date in bold font in the emails and letters we send to schools and make the capacity clear. It's hard to specify the capacity for School's Days tournaments because it can sometimes be difficult to determine the exact number of adjudicators for the tournament until closer to the date of the event.

With School's Training Days, we should try and organise people to help out with the day as early as possible in order to prevent this sort of situation occurring again, and to avoid any image problems that could arise if MUDS is perceived as having to pay people to help with its events.

Lachlan: To get more people to help out with School's Days, maybe we could send a message/email to the presidents of other societies when registration opens?

Nandini: We already do. We invite presidents and members from other debating societies.

Lachlan: We could also try to send MUDS members to help out with other societies' School's Days.

Nandini: The University wants an incident report about the School's Day (I assume about the Training Day as well), the complaint, and the invoice. I have replied asking for clarification of how they would like the report to be structured and am awaiting a response.



muds
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
DEBATING SOCIETY

Talk That Talk: Communication with Members + Notices of Policies and

Dates

Anna: We need to ensure that we communicate with our members early and often, especially when it comes to important dates (including trial dates) and policies (e.g. trial policies).

I Will Wait, I Will Wait For You: Tentative Date for Next Exec Meeting

Nandini: We will determine the date of the next Executive Meeting by Doodle Poll, but it would help if everyone could try and keep the end of March free for a Meeting.

Ryan: I think it would be good to have a Meeting after Easter trials (March 16 and 17) so we can debrief trials and trial procedures.

Meeting Concluded